Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Safari

Ok, so I know this post won't do the safari justice without pictures, but Africa's computers have so many viruses. Can I just say that the safari was amazing?!

This is just a short version of what we got to see and experience.

1. Took a van safari with the top off into Murchison Falls National Park and got to see giraffes, warthogs(pumba), monkeys, gazelles, impalas, water buffalo, huge elephants and the best of all we got to see lions eating a warthog. We were so close to the lions that I thought for sure they were going to attack our van. Luckily we survived.

2. We then took a boat cruise and got to see so many hippos. I don't think I will ever need to see another hippo. We then saw a ton of alligators in the water(Nile) and on land. It was kinda freaky, but amazing at the same time. While on the boat, we got really close to Murchison Falls, which was told to us by a Ugandan, that it is the most powerful waterfall in the world because so much water runs through such a small space. It was amazing.

3. At night, we slept in these permanent tents with 2 beds. The last night we were there, I was peacefully sleeping and then heard a "chomp, chomp!" I woke up and looked out the opposite windows and saw a hippos head the first window and the hippos butt in the 2nd window. I whispered to the other girl, "Hillary, Hillary wake up!! There is a hippo right outside our tent!" She jumped out of her bed and into mine and we just sat there watching the hippo graze around our tent. It was the craziest thing I have experienced. I thought for sure it would charge through our door. Oh the adventures of Africa!!!

4. The last day of our safari we hiked up to the falls and were able to get really close up. It was beautiful and a little scary, as I thought for sure one of us would fall in and die. I loved every minute of it and this was a nice almost ending to my Africa experience.

On another note, I got this weird bite on my leg and it swelled up pretty big and felt like it was getting into my muscle. I went to the doctors in Kampala and he squeezed the heck out of it. Come to find out it was some kind of infection. He gave me some meds and sent me on my way. The following day, after taking the meds for awhile, I started feeling sick. I then threw up all day, which didn't consist of much because I hadn't eaten. The doctor failed to mention that the drugs can make you really nauseous!! It was awesome throwing up in Africa. I had to get some other pills to offset the nausea. Oh well, I will back in America in one week. I will really miss it here, but I am looking forward to a hot shower and clean house!!!

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, that sounds absolutely amazing! What a unique opppurtunity and experience!

    --Anna (Russell) Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, we are going private. Send me your email and I will add you to the list.

    ReplyDelete