Ok, so this might be a long post because it has been way to long since I have posted.
Here is a rundown of some of the things we have done here and that we have experienced.
1. We do these things here called outreaches, where we go to rural villages and experience their culture and then in return teach them about HIV/AID, sanitation and teacher training. The first one I went to I cried, then the second one I went to I cried. During the first one, we learned that a little boy was dying from Malaria and they were trying to get him to the hospital. While we were there, he died. Because of tradition, they had each one of us go into the home of his family and pay our respects. It was so heartbreaking to see his mother wailing over his body. It makes me so mad and sad that people are dying of Malaria, when there is medication that can prevent it or help you overcome it. I wish it was more readily available to all people. The next outreach we went to, we went to a fishing community and got to canoe on Lake Victoria. That was amazing. I thought we were going to tip with over 20 people in the canoe, but we made it. While we there, a school performed some songs for us. It was so cool. Then an orphan group also performed. They were each orphaned because both parents died of AIDS. They sang about their life and living without their parents....I bawled. One of the men there wanted me to give a speech on HIV/AIDS, so I got to cry through most of that. I think these outreaches have been one of my favorite parts here.
2. A group of us have been developing a curriculum for sex education. We put together two lesson plans that the older teens can present to the younger ones. It is designed to help the younger teens be more aware of the risks of sexual activity and what they should and should not do in certain situations. They have a lot of men and women here who solicit young children into sex. They are called sugar mommies and daddies. All around the schools there are signs that say, "Say no to sugar mummies and daddies" or "don't accept gifts from strangers." It is a terrible thing, so we are trying to help them become more aware of the dangers. Also, the teenage pregnancy rate here is through the roof.
3. This last week a group of 16 of us went to Gulu, which is in Northern Uganda. We went and finished the adobe stoves that the other half of the group started. This was a great experience, as many of the people here cook with an open fire in their homes. We have been told that smoke inhalation is the #3 killer here. We went to rural villages called Pichou and Achulu, where there is little to no access to resources. Gulu is much better today than it was about 5-10 years ago. Many of the IDP camps have been cleared out and people are returning to their villages. Some are still afraid that Joseph Khoney will come back. This man and the LRA are the most evil people I have ever read or heard about.
4. A man by the name of Denos came and told his story about the rebels and what they did to his family. I am warning readers that the following is very graphic, but I feel his story needs to be told.
He told us that the LRA would come into the villages and kill people and take the children in the bush to be a part of the rebel group. At one point they came into a school and killed 6 teachers and put them in a large cooking pot and cooked them. They gave most people 48 hours to leave or they would kill them as well. Because many of the parents were killed, the older children were forced into caring for their younger siblings and then into prostitution to buy food and water. He went on to tell us that he lost both of his parents at a young age to the LRA. The rebels came to their home and told Denos to kill his father. When he refused, they took his father, mother and step-mother(another wife) and strapped them to a tree naked. They then slit them from their throats to their abdomen, while the children were forced to watch. He showed us a picture he drew of the experience and it was so graphic that I had to turn away. He discussed how he was forced into the LRA and that he had to walk hundreds of miles. He was forced to kill another man because they were told that if he didn't kill him, then they would have the man kill him. I could go on with his story, but he ended with saying that what will help the people of Gulu would be education and HIV/AIDS counseling. He is now a member of the LDS church and has started a few organizations that help the children who have been displaced because of the LRA. He is an amazing young man.
Next week a few of us are going on a safari for 3 days. I am so excited. I will get to see lots of beautiful countryside and many animals. I can't wait for this experience.
I hope to stay more on top of the blogging, so one should follow sooner than later.
I love reading about everything and am glad that the work is going so strong. Sounds like you are having some great experiences.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about the safari!
just so you know, i miss ya. come home already will ya?!?! i even had a dream that you came home a few days early and i was SO suprised and SO happy my bff was home!!! havent you had enough fun there yet? COME HOME!
ReplyDelete