Sorry it has taken so long to post, but the internet here is slower than slow. Uganda is amazing!! It is so green and beautiful. The house we are staying in has 6 rooms with bunk beds. There are 30 of us staying in one house with no inside showers or flushing toilets. We can pee inside and wash it down with water and poo outside in the outhouse(a hole). Let me just say that this is the hardest thing to get used to. We shower outside as well with the well water and a bucket. This is not so bad... I feel like I am camping. One guy squeezed a worm out of his arm the other day... that was awesome.
So some of the things we are doing. I get to teach my first class today to a group of women. They are teachers at a primary school(elementary). We are teaching them how to make their classrooms safe and nurturing. I am really excited. The rest of this week I am going to try to get an HIV/AIDS group together. This group will be a counseling group for teens who are HIV positive. I am really excited about this project. This coming weekend we are going to Sipi Falls, which are huge beautiful waterfalls. We get to repel down the side of one of the waterfalls. YAY!
Things are good here and I love every minute of it. I will write more later. Love you all!!!
A guy sqeezed a worm out of his arm? Did I read that right? And you thought it was awesome? lol you are crazy Mel! Glad you are having a good time!
ReplyDeleteFinally we hear from you GEEZ! I'm so glad that it's working out. The outhouse part, not so much fun. Please don't tell me sick things like a guy pulling a worm out of his arm. NAsty! I'm so glad you love it and hope to hear from you soon. I emailed you yesterday, but it didn't work. Is it Smelle? or Smelly? LMK
ReplyDeleteLove ya
I can't tell you how happy I am for you to be there MEL!!! I know I am totally dramatic but I am balling right now while typing this. Your doing great stuff. Give those beautiful women a hug and kiss from me. I'm jealous jealous!! YOur amazing and I'm glad you are having this life changing experience. Wish I was there too. Reagan sends a kiss your way!
ReplyDeleteok first of all, EW to the no showers or toilets. Second of all EW to pooing in a freaking HOLE. Third of all EW to the worm guy. Im gonna be honest. I love you friend, but youre freakin crazy. Call me if you need me to come pick u up. I wont even ask why, i think I already know the answer. EW.
ReplyDeleteHi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun! Can't wait to hear about your trip to the waterfalls.
Love,
Aunt Loraine